The Jamaican Diaspora of the Southern USA, under the jurisdiction of this Consulate, will stage the third annual Jamaica Hi-5K Walk/Run on Saturday, May 7, at the Miramar Regional Park.
The event will begin at 7:30 a.m., simultaneously in five (5) regions across the Southern USA including Orlando, FL; Atlanta, GA; Houston, TX; and Arizona. A virtual race for anyone who wishes to participate is also being staged.
The proceeds from the 5K Walk/Runs will continue to benefit the four (4) Health Clinics which were adopted from previous events by the Diaspora community of the Southern USA. To date, clinics have been adopted in Port Antonio, Portland; Riversdale, St. Catherine; Bamboo, St. Ann; and Highgate, St. Mary.
The Ministry of Health and Wellness’ Adopt A Clinic (AAC) Program seeks to engage the Diaspora along with the Jamaican private sector to play a critical role in improving the provision and access to primary health care through philanthropic support. Under the Program, some 100 clinics have been identified for adoption across the island. Our effort is to secure commitment for at least five additional adoptions.
Activities throughout the day are intended to bring together the Diaspora community, family, and friends for the health experience – walk/run and health awareness. All CDC COVID-19 protocols will be observed and enforced.
- The Jamaica Hi-5K will be staged simultaneously in five Cities and virtually:
- Hi-5K Run/walk starts at 7:30 A.M. (DST)
- Post-race celebration 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. (DST)
- The post-race celebration includes the distribution of awards and entertainment from various artists and DJs.
- Proceeds are donated to the Adopt-A-Clinic initiative which helps raise funds and awareness for healthcare and wellness in Jamaica.